Friday, May 02, 2008

Chair Makeover

So, I did this project a while back and I wanted to share it with my blogging buddies. I inherited this chair from my mother-in-law a few years ago and it has sat, quietly waiting in the corner of our playroom, for a makeover!

One day, I found this picture in the Crate and Barrel catalogue. I loved this chair, but not the price! Humm, you can tell where this led me . . .


I went to Home Fabrics (a fabulous CHEAP fabric store) and bought this fabric for . . . . $3.50 a yard!!! Can you believe it!? I think that the batting cost more than the fabric but overall, the whole project cost me under $50.

I started off with the ottoman, which I thought would be easier and better to experiment with. It turned out to my liking! :)


At this point, I decided that I could take some pictures, as it didn't look like a total disaster! LOL!

Next, I traced out a rough outline of the chair body onto my fabric and cut it out. I pinned it, right side out, to the chair so that I could make any adjustments, make sure that the fabric was straight, and trim off any excess fabric. It was important for me, with the print of this fabric, to make sure that the lines were all lined up.

After the fabric was adjusted, I unpinned it and cut the stuffing out to match the pieces. I then re-pinned the fabric, with the stuffing, to the chair, wrong side out, like so -


I sewed these piece together and trimmed off the excess fabric. I basically followed the same steps for the whole chair.



You can see that I traced the curve of the arm so that I would get it right when I sewed it. Nothin' too professional!! LOL!

For the bottom, I decided to sew the outer flaps on first. I basically took the rectangular measurements and then sewed them separately, with an iron on interfacing to give them some stiffness. Then I added them to the main body.


One thing that I regret is that I did not make these pieces wide enough. In the end it didn't really matter but, I wish that I had had the patience to undo them and make them wider so that they would be closer together at the edges.


My last step for the main body was to put together the inner panels on the base of the chair. I didn't hem these pieces because I decided that I was going to staple them to the bottom of the chair. When all four sides were sewn on, I turned the fabric right side out, put it on the chair, and closed up the edge of the slipcover by hand. Then came the stapling.

For the cushion, I made a simple pillowcase-like slip cover. Don't you love my professional terms here! :) LOL!


All in all, I am proud of the final product! It doesn't quite look like the Crate and Barrel chair but it was a heck of a lot cheaper! That works for me. My kids love the chair too, theY have already turned it into a fort, a slide, and a trampoline. :)

17 comments:

Erica said...

What the???? Are you serious right now? Can I call you Martha Stewart for short? I have a few projects down here if you're loking for a new one!

Lisa said...

WOW!!!!!you are amazing. Um, I have a chair that could use a little makeover:) As for the photoshop class go to Nicole Hill, Little Sussy (link on my blog) and go to her classes. They start this week on Thurs night. I'd love for you to take it with me. I'll call you.

beki said...

You should give yourself a great big pat on the back for that one. It looks awesome! I never would have thought to add batting to the slipcover - brilliant!

Jacobson Five said...

Looks awesome Zoe. You are so talented. Why didn't we get the chair from the mother-in-law. Well it would have stayed how it was with me and my lack of sewing abilities, so it was better off in your care. Way to go.

mommysgirls said...

Looks awesome! I have a few things that need slipcovers in our new (old) trailer. Maybe I can use your brain to figure it out?

Brenda said...

LOVE IT!!! In fact I think I like your version of the slip covers better than Crate and Barrels. Thanks for taking the time to share it with us all. :)

utmommy said...

Very impressive. I want to do my couches, but I am not brave or confident enough to do it.

Lei said...

I have a chair and a half that needs covering so badly... it's also been banished to the playroom (where all bad furniture goes, huh?) But I am not where near where you are with the sewing skillz... still, you give me a *little* hope.

smart mama said...

so impressed- i have a couch i have been wanting to recover- maybe you have inspired me to take it on!

pinklemonadeboutique said...

You need no inspiration from me, I am seriously impressed! I don't think I could do that if you held a gun to my head, really! wow, that's amazing.

Erica said...

I need something other than "chair make over" sooooo get cracking sista!

Evey said...

That is awesome. You have no idea how bad that would look if I tried something like that. heehee! You did an amazing job.

Tamlynn said...

Hi, I guess I'm lurking, but I know Les and Lei, so they can tell you I'm not a psycho. LOVE the chair. I too have one I've been dying to change. Maybe I really can do it myself. Yours looks great! I'll be checking here again to review your instructions.

Sunny said...

WOW~ that looks amazing!

I am totally going to visit that fabric store - that was a great deal on such cute fabric!

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Excellent recovering job! Looks better than new.

Christina said...

It's beautiful! I would never have the patience...

Dancin Queen said...

Wow! That is amazing. You did a fabulous job! It looks really great. I applaud your ingenuity.