Saturday, August 04, 2007

Away on vacation . . .

Okay, so I have so much to post about! We are in Florida right now visiting my brother and his wife and their little ones. Yes, I get to hold the brand new baby Ronan! He is so precious!

The boys are having a blast and I am slowly detoxing from the stress at home. Speaking of home . . . well, remember how I told you about our big event that was going to happen? I don't know if it is necessarily exciting but . . . well, here is the story (in a nutshell).


Here is our house. Nice house. We like our house. When we built our house, we jumped up and down and hugged each other. Here is a place where we can raise a family.



We move into our house. Within two years we start to see cracks. It is just normal settling they tell us. Okay. We are still happy. But then, the cracks get bigger. I cry. Doors won't close, windows won't open, tile is cracking . . .

It turns out, our house is sinking into the ground along with our three neighbors. Four houses in a row. Bad soil. We get a lawyer.

Back to present day. It is finally time to fix our house. Men come to dig holes around our house . . . and inside our house. Inside our playroom. Yep, over 40 piers to jack up our house (kind of like on stilts).

Our house looks like a construction zone. I try not to cry as they dig up my flower beds. Three weeks, they tell us. It will take three weeks to fix.



So, we go on our planned vacation and the boys and I are going to stay away for a couple more weeks. Of course, they are not phased at all. They think that it is all so exciting! It is, I mean, we are happy to have our home fixed.

Well, that is the big event! Pretty big for our family. This experience has taught us so much. The biggest thing that I have learned is that there are worse things that can happen in life. At least I have my family. That is all that really matters. Houses can crumble, belongings can be destroyed, but as long as I have my loved ones, I am okay.

8 comments:

utmommy said...

What a great attitude!

I'd cry too if that were my home. I hope they get everything fixed in a timely manner and that you can have your home back again, which is beautiful by the way!

Blackeyedsue said...

I want to cry for you Zoe! Yes, there are more important things than a house, but still! It is enough to make me want to sit in my closet and cry! You seem so calm!

Your home is beautiful! Are they replacing tile and flowerbeds and lawn? You will have to show some MAJOR after pictures!

Dee Light said...

Wow that is a big event!!! I'm so sorry you are having to deal with that. But it sounds like you're doing a great job of dealing with it!!! Enjoy your time away with the boys!!!

Shionge said...

What a beautiful house indeed Zoe and sorry about the cracks though... Does it costs alot to have it fix looking at the magnitude of the construction?

Still, like you say is so true you still have your love ones around you :D have fun in Florida :)

beki said...

Oh my gosh, what a pain! ENjoy your time away. I hope that when you return things are back to normal.

Michelle said...

Oh WOW - that is major works there happening to your house! I hope it is all fixed and patched and flowers blooming in your garden very very soon.
shelly

Lei said...

I can't even imagine the stress this has created for you guys... that gorgeous home! :( But you have such a positive outlook, always have!

Tee/Tracy said...

I understand in a much smaller way. We discovered some problems with our house after living in it for awhile. It's very stressful. I'm glad you are getting yours fixed. {HUGS}